Sunday, December 12, 2010

If you can't be with the one you love, love yourself.

It's been a bittersweet few weeks. I've made some adjustments in my life (specifically to my Facebook settings) to hopefully prevent the almost weekly cry-my-eyes-out session I'd been experiencing. It has helped, and I have been strong about it, but it's also left me feeling pretty depleted. Rejection, letting go, accepting the end ... these are not things I do well.

However, there's also been some really good. Bible study is continuing to change my heart. I've been celebrating babies and friends and making progress at work. I can't say I've specifically done anything on my independence list, but I've been getting better at relying on God to love me and take me where I'm supposed to be. Again, I'm seeing that this is the path to happiness - not through any other person. I'm making my own happiness.

So, because this week I'm loving myself, it's time to celebrate Things I Can Do:
- Fly across the country
- Bake brownies from scratch
- Buy a car
- Try a new church by myself
- Decorate an apartment
- Take a picture of myself (thus the profile photo)
- Sing the states alphabetically
- Build an online fundraiser on our website (believe me, this is huge)
- Throw a baby shower
- Balance my checkbook
- Go to the gym alone
- Climb a (small) cliff
- Plan and run a ceremony for 4,000 people
- Drive for four hours (probably longer, but I haven't tried)
- Join a sorority - this was way outside my comfort zone at the time
- Jump in freezing water in the middle of February
- Ask for a table for one at a restaurant
- Score a lease on an amazing apartment

Finally, I'll close out this post with a lyric from "Heart of Life" by John Mayer. I am not a huge fan of his personally, but these words really hit home:
Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it wont all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good
And an extra shout-out to my circle of friends for defending the silver lining. :)

1 comment:

  1. Good list! I haven't even made brownies from scratch..and I live in a country where I have to. Glad you're trying to focus on the positives.

    ReplyDelete