Monday, April 25, 2011

Independence Bucket List

Lately I've been thinking I should pursue acting. Seems I've picked up the skill of being able to cry on command: in my cube, in my car, while cleaning my bathtub, in the middle of Target, while listening to Duffy's Rockferry album ... But then this song, although it made me cry, it gave me hope, too. Whatever happens, this is not the end of my life. As hard as it can be, and as much as I don't want to, I'm moving forward.

So, in the spirit of hope and moving forward, I've finally compiled my independence bucket list. It's by no means complete; I'm sure I'll think of more things about five minutes after I hit "publish."

Here we go. Things I want to be able to do on my own:
- Be able to cook dinner for myself at least once a week. Pasta dishes where you boil the pasta and heat the sauce do not count. Neither does salad from a bag, or grilled cheese.
- Explore a foreign city all by myself
- Shed my divorce weight
- Change a tire
- Paint a room
- Take a self-defense course. It’s not so much that I want to take the course by myself, but I figured saying I want to be able to take down a guy with my elbow needed a little explanation.
- Sew on a button (pathetic, I know)
- Go to a movie theater alone
- Change a diaper (also pathetic)
- Cook meat on a barbecue grill (I'm scared I'll start a fire)
- Figure out the HTML in my newsletter at work
- Move to a new city

Further suggestions are welcome. I'm not giving myself any kind of deadline, but I promise to blog as I complete things.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome list! None of those are pathetic. Randy can help with changing a tire - I should probably learn myself! :) As for buttons and diapers - I can help you there for sure! Painting is easier than it looks - the hard part is not making a mess (I usually have more paint on myself than on the walls)- this is why they make painter's tape and plastic sheeting! BTW -I share your fear about BBQ grills! You GO GIRL!!!!

    ReplyDelete