Thursday, January 17, 2013

Happy Anniversary, STL!

Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of my move to STL. I've gotta say, it's been a good year, totally validating my decision to move here.

A few things I love about living in the city (because I also love to make lists):

* My friends, obviously. We've had spontaneous game nights, we've celebrated birthdays and babies, we've grown together through Bible Study, we've met up for breakfast club. We don't see each other every weekend, but it is so good to know that there's almost always someone I can call to meet me for dinner.

* THE FOOD. From Food Truck  Fridays to The Hill to tapas restaurants to the Mexican joint within walking distance from my house to amazing pizza to all the restaurants in charming old buildings to billy goat chips . . . I never tire of eating here. Which explains why I gained five pounds within a month. I'm proud to say I've mastered a balance of eating delicious food and staying healthy, though, and I've shed those five pounds plus another 17 . . .

* Which is kind of a point in itself. Living in the city, you encounter a lot more health-conscious people. It was annoying at first, because I felt like the most overweight person my age, but it quickly motivated me to actually get off my butt and quit being so complacent about my weight.

* All the old houses and the varied architecture. The gingerbread houses in South City are the best.

* The parks! Seriously, no matter where you live, you can walk to a park. Or at least bike to one. I'm pretty sure I spent the entire spring season floating on a cloud over Tower Grove Park with daisies in my hair.

* Forest Park deserves its own section, because there's the Zoo and the Science Center and the History Museum and the trails and the Boathouse and Post-Dispatch Lake where you can rent paddle boats and kayaks, and there's the World's Fair pavilion and there's even a few things I haven't done yet like SLAM and  the Muny and ice skating.

* I finally understand why people from St. Louis would complain about the Columbia Mall in college. Seriously, I've never dressed better (although not at all claiming to be fashionable).

* Cardinals games! I love being able to think, "We should go to the game," and actually do it that same day. No advance planning, no taking off work, no hotel room.

* There's something going on every single weekend. I find it impossible to be bored in this city. I've been to a  food-tasting festival in the streets of Maplewood, watched a concert under the Arch and bundled up for Christmas lights at the Zoo, just to name a few.

* City Museum, because where else is it acceptable for grown adults to climb through an obstacle course made from re-purposed building supplies?

* I've been exceptionally lucky here. Through the STL Social Media Club, I got to go to a restaurant opening, where they comped our entire meal (I'm contractually obligated to recommend everyone eat at Vida in the Galleria). A Board member's business was celebrating their anniversary with a street party, where food trucks were serving up free food. And after I dropped my business card in at Noodles & Company, they treated my entire office to a free tasting lunch. Um . . . all of those things had to do with food again. Oh well.

* And finally, no more long-distance relationship! For the first 1.5 years of dating, J and I only saw each other every-other weekend. Being able to see him almost every day has obviously strengthened our relationship and helped us move forward. Plus, now I get to see the dog every day, too.

I think it's safe to say that my love affair with this city is just beginning. And also, that St. Louis doesn't suck

PS, Sorry this post doesn't have photos. I tried. Blogger and Picasa are not my friends right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment